When I want to talk about movies, but not really cover them in a review or from a nostalgic standpoint, I'll write about them as Movie Musings. These can be anything from talking about specific inspirations for the film, the way a movie may remind me of another, or discussing a specific part of the movie (that isn't a scene breakdown or post about the music).
- What Works in the Star Wars Prequels
- Ghost in the Machina
- Wait, I've Seen This Before!
- Trailer Pain!
- The Kwisatz Haderach of the Wind
- MST3K Otaku
- Where Have I Seen This Before:
- Where Have I Seen This Before:
- Does it Have to be a Trilogy?
- Exorcising My Right to Avoid Possession
- Full Invasion
- Genre Wars - Revenge of the Myth
- The (sur)real appeal of David Lynch
- An Auteur in Blockbusters
- Going Ape for a Trilogy
- The Strange Journey of the Star Trek Films
Sometimes you just have to have some silly fun. So I'll post an image from a movie I recently watched. You get to provide a caption to the image. It could be what the character is saying, thinking or what the audience is feeling at this particular moment. Here is a list of these images and the captions provided by my readers.
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi - Battle of Endor
- Skydivers - Practice
- Dune - Sting shows his sting
- Hired! - You, put a handkerchief on your head. You, swat at imaginary elves!
- Radar Men From the Moon - Pumpkin Boy is agog
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens - An Unlikely Couple of Knuckleheads
- The Black Hole - Dr. Reinhardt gets down with his bad self
- Star Trek: The Original Series - Spock looks at the tech specs on an 80s Transformer box
- The Haunting: Doing the Hokey Pokey with Russ
- Sidehackers: Walk Dumbly and Carry a Big Stick
- Speech: Platform Posture and Appearance - Kneel Before ZOD!
- Horrors of Spider Island - A Mentos Moment
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - I'm not touching you. Does this bother you?
- His Girl Friday - Secret Agent Man?
- Robotech - Road Rage!
- Hercules - Feel the BURN!
- Reptilicus - Photobomb!
- Star Wars: A New Hope - You talkin' to me?
- Cry Wilderness - Cryptid Serenade
- The Time Travelers - Crotch Fires and You
- Avalanche - When a Man Loves a Tree Very Much...
- You Only Live Twice - Bond's legion of fans can show up at any time
- The Beast of Hollow Mountain - Do I have something caught in my teeth?
- Starcrash - Guess who just farted.
In these blogs I take an in depth look at a specific scene from a film. I'll break it down, talking about all kinds of stuff, from lighting and production design to acting and music. Feel free to comment on my picks for favorite scenes and comment with your own picks for favorite scenes from these movies.
Sometimes I'll see a movie once and have no problem writing up a review for it. But other times I'll see a film and need some time to digest it, or maybe a second viewing. In cases like that, I'll provide some first impressions. These tend to be thoughts about the film, focusing on three good points and three bad points. I won't give a final rating, but provide my overall impression of the film. I intend on writing a more fleshed out review later on, but if you are curious about my initial thoughts, here they are.
Sometimes I just have to wax nostalgic about a certain topic. It will usually have something to do with a particular movie, but isn't really a review per se. This is where you'll find a list of these nuggets of wisdom. Some are enlightening, some are silly, but most of them are just a kind of therapy for me. Keep in mind, that since I grew up in the 1980's and 90's most of these nuggets will fall into that time frame. So beware of mullets and flannels, because there will be a lot.
- Animation - Storytelling in Another Form
- James Bond is Cool Again
- The Demise of El Hazard
- The Return of the Great Adventure - Evolution of the Adventure Film
- Star Wars is Cool Again - The Special Edition
- Thinking Fourth Dimensionally - Back to the Future
- Farewell to the SOL - The Final Season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 and the next generation of movie riffers
- Those Holiday Classics
- Looking Toward 2013
- Tenchi Muyo - A Legacy
- Welcome to the Jungle - Jungle Movies
- The Akira Legacy
- Mythic Movies of Ray Harryhausen
- Looking at 2013
- My First Bond... James Bond
- Trauma of the Planet of the Apes
- Cosmic Horror Cast-a-thon
- Looking at 2014
- Movie Music of James Horner
- My First Soundtrack
- So Good at Being Bad: Alan Rickman
- First Rumble with the Supercop: Jackie Chan
- Do It Now - Anime Trailers on VHS!
- My First MST3K
- Boba Fett - Bad Ass or Ass Hat?
- Star Trek was Always Around - Part 1
- Star Trek was Always Around - Part 2
- Looking back at 2016
- Talking 'bout My Generation - Robotech (revised)
- Star Wars CCG
- My First Twin Peaks Experience
Top Ten Lists
Well I finally jumped on the bandwagon and started making some Top Ten lists. I think it's just something all reviewers have to do at some point. Maybe it's required by reviewer law, kind of like Ape Law in Planet of the Apes. In any case feel free to post your own lists in the comments section. If anything, Top Ten lists are great for starting conversations.
- Top Ten - Science Fiction Characters
- Top Ten - Science Fiction Films
- Top Ten - Science Fiction Film Endings
- Top Ten - Science Fiction Films Circa 2000 to 2013
- Top Ten - Alternative Horror Flicks I Watch Every October
- Top Ten - Mystery Science Theater 3000 Favorites
- Top Ten - Favorite Film Scores of the 1980s
- Top Ten - Favorite Anime
- Top Ten - James Bond Pre-credit Sequences
- Top Ten - Strangest Movies Watched on Mystery Science Theater 3000
- Top Ten - Favorite Electronic Film Scores
- Top Ten - Favorite James Bond Villains
- Top Ten - Things The Star Wars Prequels Got Right
- Top Ten - Favorite Star Wars Characters
- Top Ten - Favorite Movie Monsters
- Top Ten MST3K Movies on Netflix (as of March 2017)