Friday, May 8, 2015

Movie Music Musings – Mining for Goldsmith Part 4

In the previous installment of Mining for Goldsmith I took a look at film composer Jerry Goldsmith’s work on films about conspiracy and espionage. It was a fruitful genre for him all the way up to the 1990s. But this time I wanted to look at a genre that Goldsmith is very famous for: science fiction. The man provided scores to some real classics like Planet of the Apes and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. But he also provided scores for science fiction films that are less well known and some are quite frankly not that good. But Goldsmith always went that extra step and provided a solid (and sometimes a stellar) score for these.

Here a few of my favorites from this forgotten set of films:

Seconds (1966)


I included the opening titles so you can see how well this creepy score matches the visual style of Seconds. The opening titles sequence was created by the legendary Saul Bass.

Damnation Alley (1977)




Runaway (1984)


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't thought about "Seconds" in decades though it is an interesting film. "Damnation Alley," based on the Roger Zelazny book, is simply cheesy scifi fun; since it doesn't try to be anything else, it works. "Runaway" didn't do much for me -- the score might be the best thing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really intrigued to see "Seconds". The description of it sounds like a pretty unique film and some of the clips I've seen were visually impressive. The music is unnerving for sure. I have't seen "Runaway" in years, and I remember very little about it. But I love the 80s synth music.

      Delete