Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Score Sampler: Ex Machina

I usually focus on orchestral music when I share score samples. But I figured I'd go with something a bit more modern this time. Ex Machina is a film dealing with artificial intelligence and humans trying to cope with it. As such the music tends to be cold, electronic and maybe a bit sinister. The soundtrack album features work by Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow. But the final track that plays over the finale scene and into the end credits is performed by someone else. The track is called Bunsen Burner by cuts.It actually suits the scene very well.



Enjoy the content? Click on an ad before you move onto your next stop.

8 comments:

  1. I hadn't really noticed the soundtrack of this interesting movie, which I suppose means it did its job of supporting the script without distracting from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the film on BluRay and the music mix was a bit overpowering at times. Enough that it distracted me a bit from what was going on. But I've noticed that some BluRay mixes tend to do that. This final piece worked great in the film.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes the music effectively becomes a co-star character in the movie as it does in "Run Lola Run" or "Star Wars." I'll have to pop "Ex Machina" in the dvd player again for another listen.

      Delete
  2. Great selection. I love that film. Excellent choice Roman. The soundtrack is actually solid!
    I actually have the CD soundtrack en route as we speak. Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple more posts about the movie coming up. I reacted to it in a strange and unexpected way. Needless to say I need another viewing before I feel I can really dive into the film. Stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. I have one in the can as well... Someday
      Still look forward to reading your thoughts.

      Delete
  3. It's okay, but really not that much different from what Brian Eno has done for many many years like his albums, Music for Films I, II, or III. Or for that matter what a lot of other keyboard/synthesist have done in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. It worked really well in the film and fit the mood really well. As much as I enjoy movie composed directly for a film, you can really do a lot with pick just the right existing piece for the perfect moment. Both Scorsese and Tarantino are excellent at that.

      Delete