Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Score Sample: 10 Cloverfield Lane

I've mentioned a few times on this blog that my favorite film composer is Jerry Goldsmith. He wrote a bunch of really fine film music, but I feel his work on Star Trek: The Motion Picture may be his best. I already wrote a whole blog post about why I love that score (check that out here). One of the main reasons is the crazy electronic instrument: the Blaster Beam. This bad boy was used in quite a few scores in the late 70s and early 80s, but pretty much vanished after Star Trek III: The Search for Spock in 1984.

Then along comes composer Bear McCreary who is known for his work on the revisit to Battlestar Galactica as well as his use of unique instruments. He felt that the Blaster Beam would be the perfect addition to his score for 10 Cloverfield Lane. So he reached out to the creator of the Beam, Craig Huxley, and asked him to perform the Beam for the score. Well, my love for the Blaster Beam knows no bounds, so when I heard it was going to appear on this score I had to pick it up.

McCreary creates a really great theme for the film and puts it through all kinds of variations, building suspense and terror in equal amounts. The Beam adds an unearthly presence to the whole thing. Check out this edit from the end credits suite for the film featuring the Beam and an interesting video of all the unique instruments McCreary compiled of the score. The Blaster Beam can be heard and seen at the 2:20 mark. Enjoy!


Support Blaster Beam appreciation and click and ad before you go.

4 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of the Blaster Beam before. I'll have to read up a bit on that one. It's neat to see the orchestra actually playing the score.

    A bowed banjo? Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that instrument is actually from Turkey called a yayli tambur. I've never heard of it before, but my pal Jon Broxton over at Movie Music UK identified it.

      The Blaster Beam is a funky instrument and has an interesting origin. Huxley seems like a creative guy.

      Delete
  2. I know the mixed feelings a neighbor couple has about their son practicing the drums at home. I can just imagine a conversation that starts, “Hey, mom, I want to learn to play the Blaster Beam.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL

      I'd be over there listening to him practice all the time!

      Delete