Thursday, November 3, 2016

Score Sample: Clash of the Titans (1981)

Since I am hard at work on may National Novel Writing Month project, expect only short posts on this blog. I'll try to get a couple out a week and most of them will probably be movie music related. But I might have a surprise or two in there.

I'm working on a fantasy novel or Nanowrimo and you can follow my progress at my other blog. Most of time I write with music blaring to help inspire and motivate me. Of course movie soundtracks are wonderful for this. I've got plenty of fantasy scores in my collection and a lot of them are from the 1980s when movie music wasn't afraid to go BIG!

The 1981 version of Clash of the Titans is a great example of this. Since the movie is a throwback to the golden age adventure films of the 50s and 60s the score follows suit. Laurence Rosenthal gives us big bold themes with plenty of in your face style. Some people think this score is a bit corny, but I love it (and love the movie). It was hard to pick just one track, but I really love the theme for Pegasus, and how is soars around the room. So here is the track Pegasus that combines the theme for the flying horse as well as the main theme for Perseus as he tames the wild beast. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. That’s amazing to me that you write to music. Music might inspire me before, but not during – I shut off as many distractions as possible. Well, a great many writers drink for inspiration. Music definitely makes for better mornings-after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit that I don't really listen to the music while I'm writing. Once I get into the zone, the rest of the world is tuned out. But when I'm stuck or especially when I first start getting back into the world, the music can really help.

      For some stories I actually create a soundtrack. The sci-fi novel I started a few years back actually has a full blown Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack cobbled together from a bunch of his science fiction and adventure scores. It was almost as much fun to make that "score" as it was to write the story. i really need to finish that draft. it had a lot of fun ideas in it.

      Delete